Crowns are a versatile dental treatment used in restorative and cosmetic procedures to improve the function and beauty of your teeth. Whether you have a single damaged tooth or multiple teeth that need aesthetic enhancement, your dentist might recommend this common treatment.
When Are Dental Crowns Used?
A dental crown acts like a cap that is placed over the tooth and cemented in place. It is tooth-shaped and looks just like your natural teeth. Each crown is custom made to fit the exact tooth it is covering. A crown can be used in the following cases:
- Reinforce a tooth that is weak from decay
- Hold together with a tooth that is broken or cracked
- Restore a tooth that is severely worn
- Support a tooth with a large filling
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Cover teeth that are discolored or misshapen
- Cover a dental implant
The benefits of crowns include:
- Look and function just like your natural teeth
- Covers the visible part of the tooth, protecting the entire structure
- Made of strong and durable material that will last decades with proper care
How Crowns Work
In the first step of the procedure, the dentist will numb the affected area and use a drill to smooth the tooth down, making room for the crown. Sometimes, the tooth is so badly damaged that a crown buildup is required to create a foundation on which to place the crown. Your dentist will then make an impression of the tooth, which will be sent to a lab to create the crown. In the meantime, you will be fitted with a temporary crown to protect your tooth.
Within a couple of weeks, the dentist will then cement the crown in place and make sure it fits properly. They will check to make sure it is comfortable and that your bite is aligned.
At Dental Care of Boca Raton, we help patients in and around Boca Raton, FL with crowns and other restorative dental treatments. Please call our office to schedule an appointment for a consultation to discuss your particular dental needs.