Misaligned and crooked teeth can mar a beautiful smile. Eating can become difficult, and your speech might change. Over time, crooked or misaligned teeth can cause extra strain when you chew, which leads to headaches and temporomandibular joint disorder.
For a long time, metal braces were the only solution for misaligned teeth. These did not favor adults since they have poor aesthetics, and they are uncomfortable. Most adults cannot see themselves having a mouth full of metal.
There is a better way to straighten teeth without wearing metal braces. Invisalign treatment has been around for some years now and has helped thousands of people rejuvenate their smiles.
Invisalign, also known as clear aligners, has been around since 1997. These clear aligners are made from high-quality, non-toxic BPA plastic. They are snug, which makes them effective in gently moving your teeth to the desired position.
Clear aligners were designed to be comfortable and inconspicuous as compared to their predecessor, metal braces. Thus, adults can get to straighten without thinking so much about the restrictions that came with metal braces.
Who Needs Invisalign?
Our dentist in Boca Raton will examine your teeth and gums to see if you are a good candidate for Invisalign treatment. Nevertheless, clear aligners can resolve any of the following issues:
- Crooked teeth
- Open bite
If the above issues are not resolved in a timely fashion, you are at risk of developing the following issues:
- Speech difficulties
- Periodontal disease (gum disease) since it is challenging to clean in between crooked and misaligned teeth
- Digestion can be affected since you will not chew food as you are supposed to
- You will expose your teeth, gums, and jaw to excess wear since you will have to use extra energy to speak and eat when your teeth are misaligned. You can get TMD and chronic headaches.
How Do Clear Aligners Work?
Traditional braces and Invisalign apply the same principle, in that they are designed to push your teeth to the desired position.
Invisalign, unlike conventional metal braces, do not use metal wires and brackets to move your teeth. They have a set of clear, lightweight aligners that will be used to move your teeth throughout your treatment.
Traditional braces depend on the wires and brackets to apply pressure, which is readjusted during every dental visit.
What to Expect at the Dentist’s Office
The steps involved to get your customized clear aligners are as follows:
Our dentist, after examining you will come up with a treatment plan that will include the time that the treatment will take and what to expect during the treatment. Our dentist will take images of your teeth and mouth.
3D imaging is used to get an image of your teeth and mouth, which our dentist uses to trace your teeth’ trajectory to get to the desired position. The image will then create a series of trays that will be used during your treatment.
Your treatment officially starts when you get the customized aligners. You will be given enough aligners that you will wear until your next appointment, usually for six weeks.
You will wear each aligner for a week or a maximum of 2 weeks before discarding it and wearing the next one in the series. You will wear each aligner for 22 hours each day for 2 weeks.
How Do You Care For Your Aligners?
The beauty of using Invisalign is that it is convenient for most people. You can easily slip them out and eat your favorite food and slip them back on. They are also easy to clean as compared to the conventional metal braces.
Even though they come with these great perks, they have to be properly cared for to accomplish their purpose.
Here are some tips that can be helpful:
- Regularly soak them in cleaning crystals
- Brush your teeth every time you remove them to eat or snack to prevent plaque buildup on the clear aligners
- Stick to drinking water while you are wearing Invisalign
- Always rinse the aligners with running water before you wear them to remove bacteria and saliva
- Remember that you are supposed to wear the aligners for at least 20 hours each day
- Don’t eat food and colored drinks which usually stain the aligners and can leave them with an odor
- Avoid using toothpaste to clean the aligners since they are abrasive and can damage the aligners
Our Friendship Day focus is on your smile, which is the most notable facial feature. Visit us today at Dental Care of Boca Raton, and Dr. Mehulkumar Ardeshana will guide you on how to follow the process to attain your perfect smile.