At Dental Care of Boca Raton, smiling is our business. From stained or missing teeth to crooked or worn down teeth, we’ll do whatever it takes to make you proud of your smile. If you’re thinking that makes us biased, you’re probably right. Still … when it comes to smiling there is plenty of evidence that suggests you have plenty of reasons to smile. Here are just a few:
- Smiling fosters good relationships. Not only does it make you seem approachable to strangers, but it might also actually help sustain existing relationships. In a 30-year study by the University of California, research revealed that those who smiled more frequently were more likely to enjoy positive long-term relationships and happier marriages.
- Smiling is good for your heart. Our bodies sense that there is no imminent threat present when we’re smiling. As a result, the heart rate will slow, blood pressure will drop, and production of the stress hormone, cortisol, slows. All of these promote heart health, so why not do your ticker a favor and grin?
- Smiling improves your appearance. A study conducted by researchers at the Max Planck Institute in Berlin determined that people who appeared happy were perceived to be more attractive than those who wore solemn expressions. Try it for yourself! Look in the mirror the next time you smile and then resume a neutral expression; you’ll automatically be able to determine which version of yourself looks better.
- Smiling reduces your stress levels. When we smile, neurotransmitters known as endorphins are released. Not only do endorphins make us feel happy, but they also reduce the production of cortisol (see above) and naturally dull pain.
- Smiling promotes longevity. In multiple cross-cultural studies, researchers have learned that those who smile often live up to seven years longer than those who don’t. This makes perfect sense given that smiling has so many health benefits.
What are you waiting for? Smile, already! If you’re not happy with your smile for any reason, Dental Care of Boca Raton has you covered. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.