If you have heard of root canal therapy, you know at least one type of endodontic procedure for salvaging natural teeth.
What is Endodontic Treatment?
It is a dental procedure in dentistry that caters to the internal layers of teeth. Endodontic treatment at Dental Care of Boca Raton concerns treating pain and removing the bacterial infection from the insides of a tooth. According to Dr. David B. Kagan, endodontic treatment is among the few approaches in dentistry that can help save and preserve a natural tooth. This way, you will not need to undergo other restorative treatments for replacing teeth.
Endodontic treatments often involve invasive dental protocols to access the internal layers of teeth and treat them accordingly. Your dentist will access the insides of the tooth by either drilling the enamel or cutting the gums open to directly access its roots.
When Do You Need Endodontic Treatment?
- The nerve of the tooth is exposed – usually, you will experience increased sensitivity on the tooth whose nerve is exposed. The heightened sensitivity can make it uncomfortable for you to eat or drink foods at different temperatures.
- Severe tooth decay – dental decay can cause you to lose your natural tooth unless an endodontist in Boca Raton recommends a procedure to save it.
- Fractured tooth – a crack, chip, or break of your tooth does not always mean that only the enamel is damaged. Sometimes a fracture impacts the inner layers of teeth, necessitating a root canal by a dentist in Boca Raton, FL.
- Abscessed tooth – occurs when pus accumulates and builds up in a small pocket on the roots of teeth. Tooth abscesses develop due to infections that travel to the roots of teeth. A dentist would need to perform an endodontic procedure to drain the abscess.
- Severe toothache – an emergency dentist near you is always ready to attend to you at the sight of a toothache. Toothaches are the most common types of dental pains in dentistry. One way to alleviate the discomfort and treat your pain is through endodontic treatment by a dentist near you.