Oral Cancer Screening in Boca Raton, FL
Oral cancer is a serious condition that can be fatal if not diagnosed and treated in a timely manner. It is one of the most common types of cancer and affects thousands of people each year, but regular dental checkups with oral cancer screenings can detect early symptoms and allow for quick and effective treatment.
Dental Care of Boca Raton provides the most advanced screening methods to ensure early detection and help you get an accurate diagnosis.
What is Oral Cancer?
Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
Common risk factors for oral cancer include:
- Tobacco use (including smokeless tobacco products)
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Poor diet
- Family history of cancer
- Sun exposure without sunscreen
Men and those who are over the age of 35 are also at a higher risk for developing oral cancer.
Signs of Oral Cancer
Regular screenings allow our dentist to detect any warning signs of pre-cancer or cancer as early as possible so it can be diagnosed and treated before it becomes severe. If you notice any of the following signs, you should contact our office immediately and request a screening.
- Bleeding in the mouth
- Oral pain
- Difficulty in chewing
- Rough patches inside the mouth
- Pain in the lymph nodes
- White patches or red patches on the tongue, lips, or gums
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth
Oral Cancer Screening Procedure
- Oral cavity exam: our dentist will perform a visual inspection to look for anything that doesn’t look like normal tissue that may indicate signs of early-stage cancer, such as lesions in your mouth or throat, white patches on the tongue or gums, or red or inflamed areas of the gums.
- Palpation: our dentist will do a physical exam by using gloved fingers to feel around in the oral cavity for bumps or lumps that may not be apparent with a visual exam.
- Screening dye: the dentist may use a special dye or screening light to help detect oral cancer symptoms. The light will make healthy oral tissue look dark, and unhealthy tissue look white, making it easier to detect.
If our dentists detect any signs of cancer, additional tests, which may include:
- Tongue scraping: The dentist will scrape the surface of your tongue to check for abnormal tissues and then send the scrapings to a lab where they will be further examined.
- Biopsy: Your dentist may also request a biopsy of the lymph nodes or cheek tissue, which will be sent to a lab for testing.
Oral cancer can’t always be prevented, but there are some things you can do to lower your risk.
Schedule Your Oral Cancer Screening in Boca Raton, FL Today!
No Insurance? No Problem!
Take a look at what our patients have to say about our team
Dr. A. and his Dental Nurse where so patient and accommodating and really made me feel comfortable throughout the whole procedure. It was a great success!
- Roxy V.
I highly recommend Dental Care of Boca. This office is very well run & organized. Being open 7 days a week is a huge plus when you have severe tooth pain on the weekend like I did. The entire staff is very friendly, caring & knowledgeable.
- Evan L.
Amazing office and all staff members are top notch! Dr. A is a phenomenal dentist and a very caring and kind person. I have been coming to the office for years for cleanings and various other dental procedures and every experience has been wonderful. I highly recommend this practice!!!
- Valerie N.
The entire staff is so kind and gentle. From the moment you walk-in until you walk out you are in compassionate hands.