Prevention is actually the best dentistry. Daily brushing and flossing are essential to maintaining great oral health, but there is only so much you can do at home. Visiting your dentist regularly and staying on top of your bi-annual cleanings is key in preventing painful and expensive dental procedures in the future.
A professional cleaning from your dentist can help you get those pearly whites sparkling again. During a cleaning, your dentist or hygienist will:
- Remove Plaque – Plaque is a sticky substance that forms inside your mouth from a combination of food, saliva and bacteria. Plaque will stick to the surface of your teeth and causes tooth decay and gum disease.
- Remove Calculus (Tartar) – Calculus is plaque that has hardened on the tooth surface and is difficult to remove. Your dentist or hygienist will work to remove the calculus from the gum line. If calculus is present below the gum line, it is an indicator of gum disease and requires a more in-depth procedure to remove it.
- Polish – Your dentist or hygienist will finish off with removing any minor stains from the enamel of your teeth. Then they will polish your teeth and leave your mouth feeling clean and fresh!
It is important to prolong the great benefits of your professional cleaning by regularly brushing and flossing at home. It is recommended that you brush and floss at least twice every day. Proper flossing is important. Here are some tips:
- Start off with about 18 inches of floss, wind most of the floss around your fingers, leaving an inch or two of floss to work with.
- Holding the floss firmly between your thumbs and index fingers, slide it gently up and down between your teeth.
- Make sure you go around the base of each tooth and beneath the gumline. Don’t snap or force the floss, as this can cut or bruise your delicate gum tissue.
If you are looking for a dentist in the Boca Raton area, give us a call today! We look forward to helping you maintain great oral health!