An attractive smile is highly valued in our society. There are treatments available to achieve the perfect smile, but they aren’t always available to everyone. Is there an alternative for those who yearn to have a more attractive smile but cannot, for various reasons, devote the time and expense to extensive dental procedures? Yes, there is!
What Is Snap-On Smile?
Snap-On Smile is a removable appliance that fits, or snaps, over your natural teeth. It is made of tooth-colored resin that looks like your own teeth. It can be either a partial or full arch, and can be made for either upper or lower arches. It does not protrude or cover your gums or the roof of your mouth, and is similar in shape to a retainer or teeth-whitening tray. It can hide gaps between teeth and missing teeth, crooked or uneven teeth, and stained or cracked tooth enamel. It can, of course, be used for purely cosmetic purposes, but it is also an excellent solution as a partial denture or temporary solution while awaiting dental implants.
You Can Eat With Them, but Be Gentle
While you can eat with Snap-On Smile in place, we recommend that you always avoid sticky foods and chewing gum. Using them to chew hard or very crunchy foods can wear the surface more quickly, as well. Just like your own teeth and dental work, the Snap-On Smile resin will eventually show stains from drinks like wine, coffee, tea, and sodas.
Are You a Good Candidate for Snap-On Smile?
Snap-On Smile is not intended to be a permanent solution, but if properly cared for, the appliance can last several years. It does not correct existing dental problems or disease, so it is important to understand that it is not a replacement for orthodontics or any other corrective procedures, including treatment for gum disease, etc. With that understanding, Snap-On Smile can provide:
- A fast but temporary solution to creating a more pleasing smile
- A replacement for an existing partial denture
- A solution for patients who cannot be fitted with bridges, implants, or veneers
- A lower-cost solution for those who are not ready to commit to extensive cosmetic restorations
The Pros and Cons
- The procedure usually requires no more than two appointments, for impressions and final fitting of the appliance, approximately three weeks apart.
- There will be no anesthesia or drilling, and no downtime.
- No dental enamel is removed — simply remove the appliance and your teeth are still in their natural state.
- Life expectancy of the appliance with proper care varies from two to five years.
- Unlike your natural teeth, there are no gaps or spaces between the teeth because it is a solid arch. This could alert others to the fact they are not “real.”
- They might look “too good to be true” if the teeth are super straight or too white, so be sure to check for this when you preview your Snap-On Smile prior to being made.
Are You Ready to Smile?
Snap-On Smile might be the solution you have been looking for to bring your smile back. If you are in the Boca Raton, Florida, area, and think a Snap-On Smile might be right for you, contact us for an evaluation today.